Services Australia makes government services simple so people can get on with their lives. Our goal is to make it easier to engage with the services that Australians rely on.
To achieve this goal, we are transforming the way we work to deliver a simple, helpful, respectful and transparent experience for customers.
Executive level staff undertake work that can be highly complex and/or sensitive. They may be required to rely on specific skills and knowledge across one or more of the following areas: Service Delivery, Program and Project Management, Policy, Regulatory Functions, Human Resources and Professional/Technical Functions.
Executive level staff are future-focused, and drive and embrace change, including advances with digital services and technology. As a leader in the agency they will play a key role in driving transformation.
They may work in a highly collaborative/agile environment and have regular and robust engagement with key internal and external stakeholders to develop and implement policy, strategy and procedures, and manage work output and quality.
Executive level staff work under the broad direction of senior officers to deliver quality outcomes.
They exercise a considerable degree of independence, with decision-making substantially dependent on high-level judgement and consideration of wider agency implications.
In performing a leadership role, executive level staff drive innovation and changes in workplace practices and organise work in the context of competing priorities and strategic direction.
Affirmative Measure: Indigenous
The filling of this vacancy is intended to constitute an affirmative measure under section 8(1) of the 'Racial Discrimination Act 1975'. This vacancy is only available to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
To be eligible to apply under these provisions, applicants must confirm their Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage.
For more information about confirmation of heritage requirements visit our website.
Applicants will be required to provide this evidence if they progress to the interview stage of the recruitment process.
- Delivery and/or accountability for the effective management of operations and outcomes, including leading, directing and supporting staff to achieve outcomes, managing business performance, resources, workflow and priorities, reporting against progress, and managing risks and barriers.
- Deliver exceptional advice on highly complex and/or sensitive matters to senior staff and Ministers, including written material with recommendations.
- Manage/oversee finance reporting, budgets, procurement processes and external contracts, and resolve related issues.
- Make informed recommendations regarding the strategic direction of immediate work area and/or lead operational and strategic business planning activities, and drive the development of local strategies to improve against key performance measures.
- Develop and implement business improvement strategies, operational policy and procedures and change initiatives, and monitor and report on progress.
- Negotiate, engage and manage effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders, and obtain and share information through meetings and other forums.
- Perform research and analysis to identify risks and opportunities, and resolve escalated customer and stakeholder issues that adversely impact on policy, performance and/or customer service, including in disaster and emergency situations.
- Oversee the management of, and/or manage staff directly, including development, performance, engagement, health and wellbeing, and resolving escalated issues.
Not all key duties apply to all roles.
Some roles may require:
- The ability to manage teams, including those within a scheduled environment.
- Regular travel / Current driver’s license.
- Regular interactions with customers.
- Baseline Security Clearance (or ability to obtain and maintain).
To be eligible for employment with Services Australia, applicants must be an Australian citizen. An applicant’s suitability for employment with the agency will be assessed through a pre-employment screening process. This process includes a requirement for the applicant to undergo and satisfy a national police history check, referee checks and an employment history integrity check and where relevant, a Working with Children and Vulnerable People Check. A health clearance may also need to be completed. Any concerns raised in these checks will be further investigated. If you are currently, or have been, the subject of any disciplinary or Code of Conduct investigation(s) by an employer, you will be required to declare this in your application.
Applicants must be willing and eligible to undergo and maintain an Australian Government security clearance to the appropriate level, if applicable to the position.
You should be aware that Services Australia employees may be required to undergo ongoing suitability assessments as part of their employment with the agency.
Should an applicant be found suitable for a role they will be required to provide proof of citizenship and if they have recently received a redundancy benefit, evidence that they have served their exclusion period.
The selection process may include a virtual assessment centre where candidates are invited to participate in a business analysis exercise and behavioural interview using the Microsoft Teams videoconference platform.
Candidates will need to have access to a smartphone or computer/laptop, ensure they have access to the MS Teams application and have sufficient personal data to fully participate in the assessment process.
Candidates will be asked in the online application form if reasonable adjustment is required to participate in the assessment process.
A merit pool may be established and used to fill future vacancies within the next 12 months.
The filling of this vacancy is intended to constitute an affirmative measure under section 8(1) of the 'Racial Discrimination Act 1975'. This vacancy is only available to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait people.RecruitAbility applies to this vacancy. Under the RecruitAbility scheme you will be invited to participate in further assessment activity for the vacancy if you choose to apply under the scheme; declare you have a disability; and meet the minimum requirements for the job. For more information visit: https://www.apsc.gov.au/recruitability