Aboriginal Hostels Limited (AHL) purpose is to provide safe, comfortable, culturally appropriate and affordable short-term accommodation for Indigenous Australians who need to be away from home to access medical services, education and economic opportunities.
A career with AHL will provide you with a chance to contribute to improving the quality of life and economic opportunity for Indigenous Australians. We offer rewarding experiences and rewarding employment conditions.
We are PROUD: Our values are best described as Professional - Respectful - Open - Understanding - Dedicated
AHL is seeking to engage highly motivated team members who can fill the below positions in our hostels located in Thursday Island QLD:
- Hostel Worker - Cook (Full-time)
- Hostel Worker – Weekend Cook (Part-time)
You will work under the general direction of the Hostel Manager and Assistant Hostel Manager and will be responsible for working in collaboration with other hostel workers on a daily basis, ensuring a high standard of service is delivered to our residents.
We are looking for people who:
- are committed to working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples,
- have a strong focus on customer service, with the ability to communicate effectively, and work in a team environment,
- are in good physical health and can walk, lift and carry, and who can work to a flexible schedule, and
- Can prepare meals in an industry based environment and prepare quality food without compromise to Food Safety Standards Australia.
To be eligible for this role you will need to:
- be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent, and
- identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, and
- be accepted by your community as being Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- hold Australian Citizenship
- hold a valid Working With Children Check
- undergo a satisfactory National Criminal History Check (prior to engagement)
- meet fitness for duty requirements (prior to engagement)
- satisfactorily complete a probation period.
In addition, the following are highly desirable:
- Certificate in Food Safety Handling
- Certificate III or Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery
- Certificate II in Hospitality.
The filling of this vacancy is intended to constitute an affirmative measure under section 8(1) of the 'Racial Discrimination Act 1975'. This vacancy is only available to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait people.