The ABS has numerous Data/Statistical Analyst vacancies. Successful applicants will be responsible to design, analyse and validate data and deliver relevant and objective statistics and/or maintain statistical infrastructure. Roles and responsibilities may vary depending on the team, however typical responsibilities include:
- working as part of a team to produce high quality and timely outputs, with a focus on accuracy
- proactively managing a workload to meet operational targets
- critical thinking and reasoning: analysing issues and developing logical conclusions.
The roles are only available to be filled in the locations specified based on the needs of the hiring area/s and to meet the requirements of being a merit based process.
If found suitable but not offered a role you will be placed in the merit pool. If you agree in your application this means you may be offered a similar role in the ABS or another APS agency.
To be suitable you should have most of or all the following qualities, experiences and skills:
data collection, compilation, analytical, integration, governance or processing skills
- data skills - data collection, compilation, analytical, integration, governance and processing
- problem solving and decision making skills
- ability to work in and contribute to a high performing team
- good oral and written communication skills
- think laterally to identify innovations and implement improved work practices.
Also desirable are:
academic qualifications in statistics, data science, mathematics, econometrics, economics, psychology/social sciences, demography and other fields with a strong quantitative component.
How to apply
Complete an online application form on the ABS eRecruit system. You will be asked to select which location/s you are prepared to work in, upload your current resume, and provide referee details.
Along with uploading your current resume and providing referee details you will also need to write a 500 word pitch outlining how you are suitable for the role referring to your qualities, skills and experience.
To be eligible for this role you:
- must be an Australian citizen at the time you apply
- will need to undertake pre-employment checks, including national police check and health assessment
- may need to obtain (or hold) and maintain at least Baseline security clearance for some roles
These positions are only open to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples. Eligible applicants are persons (and will be confirmed as part of pre-employment checks):
- of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent; and
- who identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person; and
who are accepted by their community as being an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person.
The filling of this vacancy is intended to constitute an affirmative measure under section 8(1) of the 'Racial Discrimination Act 1975'. This vacancy is only available to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait people.
RecruitAbility applies to this vacancy. Under the RecruitAbility scheme you will be invited to participate in further assessment activity for the vacancy if you choose to apply under the scheme; declare you have a disability; and meet the minimum requirements for the job. For more information visit: https://www.apsc.gov.au/recruitability