Are you passionate about people and keen to make a real impact in a fast-paced and dynamic environment? People Branch is looking for innovative and forward thinking professionals who can help us modernise and transform the way we work to support the delivery of strategic and operational HR functions for the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (PM&C), along with shared services for the National Indigenous Australians Agency (NIAA) and the National Drought and North Queensland Flood Response and Recovery Agency (NDNQFRRA).
At PM&C, we strive for excellence in everything we do. The success of PM&C is dependent on the quality of our workforce and People Branch is a critical enabler to this success. Making sure we have the right people, value and invest in their skills and experience, promote an inclusive and safe culture, and give people the right settings to provide the best quality advice to the government is what we strive for every day. We achieve this through operational and strategic activities, maximised by our proactive and collaborative teams, in a fast-paced and high-profile environment. We are seeking passionate individuals to work at the APS4 and APS5 levels within the following HR functions:
- Entry-Level Programs – we attract entry-level talent and prepare them for a successful career through a structured development program.
- Employment Conditions and Analytics – we provide advice and guidance on complex employment conditions, organisational change and deliver HR reporting and analytics.
- Capability and Development – we are responsible for providing learning opportunities and performance management to deliver a high standard of service so staff can thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- HR Help – we are the front-door service desk for all HR queries and uphold a high-level of client service with completely, timely and accurate advice.
- Inclusion, Diversity and Cultural Change – we are responsible for implementing and sustaining a range of initiatives that support an inclusive and diverse workforce.
- Professional Standards – we provide advice, support, and guidance to managers and employees with matters relating to underperformance, inappropriate workplace behaviours, APS Code of Conduct, APS Values and Employment Principles.
- Recruitment – we support effective internal and external recruitment practices to ensure the necessary skills, experience, knowledge and attributes to meet client requirements.
- Wellbeing – we support a safe and healthy workplace by implementing a number of initiatives, employee support and risk mitigation strategies to ensure your own safety and the safety of others. As part of your application you will be asked to preference what HR functions you would like to be considered for.
We are looking for motivated individuals who have a willingness to learn about people, processes and client service. For APS5 roles, experience in HR or policy is desirable, as well as a good understanding of HR-related issues, legislation and Australian Public Service (APS) employment frameworks.
Our ideal candidates will have a positive and proactive attitude and have the ability to pick up new processes, systems and knowledge quickly. They must be able to manage time effectively and be resilient, responsive and flexible. You will have the ability to practice good judgement, are solutions focussed curious and are able to work under direction from your manager.
You will have good written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, which will allow you to provide a high level of client service and engage effectively with stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and levels of seniority. With guidance from your team, you will also be able to understand and engage with the priorities and operating environment of the Department and the broader APS to contribute strategically to People Branch and wider organisational strategies.
Key responsibilities of the roles at each classification are detailed below:
- Undertake administrative support and operational tasks with a good understanding of HR solutions, in line with APS legislation and best practice.
- Assist team members in the development of policies, procedures and strategies to support the focus of People Branch and the broader Department under the direction of your manager.
- Assist team members in the coordination of operational, strategic and project work under the direction of your manager.
- Contribute to ideas that support ways to improve our service offering.
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders, on moderately complex operational and administrative matters, through the provision of timely advice and support.
- Assist in the development of policies, procedures and strategies to support the focus of People Branch and the broader Department.
- Provide reasonable, practical HR solutions, in line with APS legislation and best practice.
- Assist in the coordination of operational, strategic and project work under the direction of your manager.
- Proactively identify and implement ways to improve our service offering.
- Develop and manage effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including through the timely and accurate provision of advice and support.
- As required, you will support your managers to draft reports, briefs and updates for the Departmental executive.
As this is an Identified Position, our ideal candidates will have a base level of understanding of and ability to engage effectively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. For candidates with limited knowledge of and limited experience engaging with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, will need to demonstrate their commitment to learning more about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, culture and history. PM&, C has a number of learning opportunities to expand this capability. Candidates are strongly encouraged to address this criteria in their one-page pitch.
To be eligible for this position you must be an Australian Citizen at the closing date of application.
The occupant must be able to obtain and maintain a Baseline level security clearance, or hold a current security clearance of an appropriate level.
Indigenous job seekers are encouraged to apply for this vacancy. If the job is 'Identified', then part or all of the duties impact on Indigenous Australian communities or their representatives.The filling of this vacancy is intended to constitute an affirmative measure under section 8(1) of the 'Racial Discrimination Act 1975'. This vacancy is only available to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait people. RecruitAbility applies to this vacancy. Under the RecruitAbility scheme you will be invited to participate in further assessment activity for the vacancy if you choose to apply under the scheme; declare you have a disability; and meet the minimum requirements for the job.
For more information visit: https://www.apsc.gov.au/recruitability