Are you passionate about people and keen to make a real impact in a fast paced and dynamic environment? People Branch is looking for innovative and forward thinking professionals who can help us modernise and transform the way we work to support the delivery of strategic and operational HR functions for the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (PM&C), along with shared services for the National Indigenous Australians Agency (NIAA) and the National Drought and North Queensland Flood Response and Recovery Agency (NDNQFRRA).
At PM&C, we strive for excellence in everything we do. The success of PM&C is dependent on the quality of our workforce and People Branch is a critical enabler to this success. Making sure we have the right people, value and invest in their skills and experience, promote an inclusive and safe culture, and give people the right settings to provide the best quality advice to the Government is what we strive for every day. We achieve this through operational and strategic activities, maximised by our proactive and collaborative teams, in a fast-paced and high-profile environment.
We are seeking passionate individuals to work at the APS6 and EL1 levels within the following HR functions. As part of your application you will be asked to preference what HR functions you are interested in from the following:
- Entry-Level Programs – we attract entry-level talent and prepare them for a successful career through a structured development program.
- Employment Conditions and Analytics – we provide advice and guidance on complex employment conditions and organisational change, and deliver HR reporting and analytics.
- Capability and Development – we are responsible for providing learning opportunities and performance management to deliver a high standard of service so staff can thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- HR Help – we are the front-door service desk for all HR queries and uphold a high-level of client service with completely, timely and accurate advice.
- Inclusion, Diversity and Cultural Change – we are responsible for implementing and sustaining a range of initiatives that support an inclusive and diverse workforce.
- Professional Standards – we provide advice, support, and guidance to managers and employees with matters relating to underperformance, inappropriate workplace behaviours, APS Code of Conduct, APS Values and Employment Principles.
- Recruitment – we support effective internal and external recruitment practices to ensure the necessary skills, experience, knowledge and attributes to meet client requirements.
- Wellbeing – we support a safe and healthy workplace by implementing a number of initiatives, employee support and risk mitigation strategies to ensure your own safety and the safety of others.
Within these HR Functions we have the following immediate vacancies to fill in the near future:
- APS6 HR Help Team Leader - this role involves ensuring a high-level of client service by setting priorities and managing work flow of the HR Help Team, in addition to managing complex customer relationships and escalated enquiries/cases and issues under the limited guidance of your manager. Experience in client/customer service is beneficial.
- APS6 L&D Adviser - this role involves the development, implementation and management of learning and development solutions. In addition, the provision of advice and guidance to employees and managers on development and performance. Experience in facilitation, adult learning, talent management and performance management are beneficial.
- APS6 Analytics - this role involves the provision of workforce reporting and analysis using the Aurion Human Resource Management system, for a range of audiences to inform people strategies and initiatives. Experience with the APS Employee Census and in workforce planning principles is also beneficial.
- APS6 Recruitment - this role involves supporting effective internal and external recruitment practices. In addition, managing the day-to-day operations of a small team, including monitoring staff workload and proactively identify and implement ways to improve our service offering.
We are looking for high performers and exceptional leaders with an interest in, knowledge of, and experience in HR or policy. A good understanding of HR-related issues, legislation and Australian Public Service (APS) employment frameworks is desirable
Our ideal candidates will have a positive and proactive attitude. They must be able to manage multiple priorities and be resilient, responsive and flexible. You will have the ability to collaborate effectively, navigate ambiguity, are solutions focussed, can think on your feet and are able to work under limited direction. Our ideal candidates will also have excellent attention to detail and the ability to pick up new processes, systems and knowledge quickly.
You will have strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, which will allow you to provide a high level of customer service and engage effectively with stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds and levels of seniority. You will also be able to understand and engage with the priorities and operating environment of the Department and the broader APS to contribute strategically to People Branch and wider organisational strategies.
Key responsibilities of the roles at each classification are detailed below:
- You may be required to manage the day-to-day operations of a small team, including monitoring staff workload and performance, and quality assuring team outputs.
- Update and manage strategic development of policies, procedures and strategies to support the focus of People Branch and the broader Department.
- Provide reasonable, practical HR solutions, in line with APS legislation and best practice.
- Manage operational, strategic and project work under the limited direction of your manager.
- Proactively identify and implement ways to improve our service offering.
- Support your manager to draft reports, briefs and updates for the Departmental Executive.
- Develop and manage effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders,
- including through the timely and accurate provision of advice.
- Provide high quality, accurate and consistent HR advice, maintaining high-level customer service to all stakeholders.
- Will provide guidance to staff and Departmental Executive on areas of your functional responsibility, as well as collaborate across the Branch to provide comprehensive strategic HR advice.
- Have significant responsibility for the supervision and development of staff and build team capacity through coaching, performance feedback, and encouraging career development.
- Manage and provide oversight of a small team regarding team priorities, projects, budget and performance.
- Develop and support complex relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Manage relationships with stakeholders to achieve work area and agency goals. Anticipate and respond to stakeholder needs and expectations. Provide support across the Branch/Department as required.
- Manage, interpret and draft strategic development of policies, procedures and strategies to support the focus of People Branch and the broader Department.
- Oversee reasonable, practical HR solutions, in line with APS legislation and best practice including escalations from the team and business areas.
- Proactively identify and implement ways to improve our service offering.
- Manage sensitive or time critical HR actions and queries.
- Prepare and finalise reports, briefs and updates for Departmental Executive.
- Provide specialist and tailored advice on organisational change to Senior Management, including management of these processes.
As this is an Identified Position, our ideal candidates will have a base level of understanding of and ability to engage effectively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. For candidates with limited knowledge of and limited experience engaging with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, you will need to demonstrate a commitment to learning more about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, culture and history. PM&C has a number of learning opportunities to expand this capability. Candidates are strongly encouraged to address this criteria in their one-page pitch.
To be eligible for this position you must be an Australian Citizen at the closing date of application.
The occupant must be able to obtain and maintain a Baseline level security clearance, or hold a current security clearance of an appropriate level.
This role is being advertised as both ongoing and non-ongoing.
Indigenous job seekers are encouraged to apply for this vacancy. If the job is 'Identified', then part or all of the duties impact on Indigenous Australian communities or their representatives.The filling of this vacancy is intended to constitute an affirmative measure under section 8(1) of the 'Racial Discrimination Act 1975'. This vacancy is only available to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait people.RecruitAbility applies to this vacancy. Under the RecruitAbility scheme you will be invited to participate in further assessment activity for the vacancy if you choose to apply under the scheme; declare you have a disability; and meet the minimum requirements for the job. For more information see: https://www.apsc.gov.au/recruitability