Aboriginal Hostels Limited’s (AHL) purpose is to provide safe, comfortable, culturally appropriate and affordable short-term accommodation for Indigenous Australians who need to be away from home to access medical services, education and economic opportunities.
A career with AHL will provide you with a chance to contribute to improving the quality of life and economic opportunity for Indigenous Australians. We offer rewarding experiences and rewarding employment conditions.
AHL is seeking highly motivated Residential Youth Workers to support Indigenous students in a home away from home environment to complete schooling and learn lifelong skills. You will support the students out of school hours, arrange and engage in creative, culturally rich programs and support the students to achieve their individual goals.
- Ensure that a clean, neat and welcoming environment is provided to all students,
- Work closely with hostel staff to accommodate students’ needs, and
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to ensure students’ needs are attended.
- Attends work on time and in accordance with approved roster (Work Pattern),
- Assist with all aspects of hostel operations,
- Participate in longer-term strategic planning to ensure constant development in hostel facilities and business improvement,
- Where required, assist with general housekeeping and food preparation duties. Ensure meal routines is met.
- Support students with routine school activities, including class preparation, provide transport to school/sport/medical appointments, homework and studies,
- Engage with students through group work and culturally appropriate recreational activities,
- Build a rapport with students and focus on positive behaviors and achievements,
- Assist to develop educational and cultural support initiatives, including mentoring and leisure activities that foster well-being and independence for students,
- Work collaboratively to provide one-on-one support to students, ensuring their personal and educational development,
- Monitor student’s supply of clothing, footwear, school material and other belongings.
- Contribute to student’s individual care plans, and identify opportunities for development,
- Have oversight of administrative tasks including student applications, student enrolments, ABSTUDY support and student appointments,
- Promote and safeguard the safety and welfare of students, adhering to AHL’s child protection policy.
Professional Service and Community Engagement
- Develop cooperative relationships with school teachers, parents and community members,
- Facilitate productive working relationships with colleagues, local providers and suppliers/contractors,
- Resolve complex issues to ensure a positive, culturally appropriate experience and quality stay.
WHS & Property Maintenance
- Perform all tasks in a manner which upholds AHL’s commitment to safety of its staff and residents by adhering to relevant WHS practices,
- Promptly report workplace hazards and WHS issues, including injury or illness, to their manager or Health and Safety Representative (HSR),
- Report unsafe, hazardous or emergency situations using AHL’s Hazard & Incident Reporting,
- Appropriately use equipment or substances and report all property maintenance,
- Perform the duties of the First Aid Officer and Emergency Warden when on duty.
You will require:
- Certificate IV in Community Services – Student Residential Care, or a willingness to commence studies
- Current Senior First Aid Certificate or willingness to obtain one
- Current Driver’s Licence
- Current Bus Licence for light-rigid vehicles (up to 25 seats) or willingness to obtain one.
- Mental Health First Aid Certificate
- Bronze Medallion (for hostels with swimming pools or regular water activities)
Requirements for the role:
- be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent, and
- identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, and
- be accepted by your community as being Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander.
- be an Australian citizen,
- hold (and maintain) a Working with Children Check in the relevant state,
- undergo a satisfactory National Criminal History Check, and
- meet fitness for duty requirements.
The filling of this vacancy is intended to constitute an affirmative measure under section 8(1) of the 'Racial Discrimination Act 1975'. This vacancy is only available to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait people.